Rangers make it an NNL Cup double - now for the treble?

Tweedmouth Rangers made it an NNL Cup double when they lifted the Anderson Cup with a 5-3 win over Lowick on Friday.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 11:39 am
Updated Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 12:41 pm
North Sunderland celebrate winning the  Bilclough Cup final at Shielfield
North Sunderland celebrate winning the Bilclough Cup final at Shielfield

Now the Berwick side are on for a treble, as they are still in with a chance of winning the first division title as well.

They have two games remaining, one of which is against their nearest rivals – Red Row – and if they win that, they would need to beat Bedlington in their final game of the season to complete the hat-trick.

Tweedmouth Rangers celebrate winning the Anderson Cup

Meanwhile, in the final of the Bilclough Cup on Saturday, North Sunderland beat Tweedmouth Harrow 3-0 to end their season in style.

Tweedmouth Rangers 5

Lowick 3

Following their Sanderson Cup win, Tweedmouth made it two cups for the season with victory over Lowick in an entertaining game at Shielfield on Friday.

Tweedmouth Rangers celebrate winning the Anderson Cup

Brian Blackburn gave Lowick the lead after only 29 seconds of play, but Rangers, who had beaten Belford 4-1 in the league in midweek, hit back to lead 3-1 at the break with goals from Peter McAskill, Jonny Simpson and Kieran Cromarty.

Lowick pulled a goal back early in the second half with a Ben Fairbairn free kick, but goals by Jonny Simpson and Lee Dodd put Rangers in the driving seat at 5-2.

Niall Jones scored a last minute consolation, but Rangers were worthy winners.

North Sunderland 3

Tweedmouth Harrow 0

North Sunderland lifted the Bilclough Cup with a 3-0 win over Tweedmouth Harrow at Shielfield on Saturday.

Ryan Thompson gave the Seahouses side the lead after 25 minutes following a solo run from the half-way line, and on the half hour mark the advantage was doubled with a header from Robert Scott.

The outcome of the game might have been a little different had the Harrow had some luck.

First of all they missed a penalty, which would have got them back in contention, and then they had a controversial ‘goal’ disallowed by the referee.

The third and final goal, which sealed the issue, was scored by North Sunderland 10 minutes from the end.

l This Friday the last of the league’s Cup Finals will be played when Alnwick Town Reserves take on either Lowick or Rothbury in the final of the Laidler Lancaster Cup at St James Park in Alnwick, kick-off 6.30pm.