Puppy rescued from burning building in Northumberland

A house has been badly damaged by fire in Berwick town centre.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 2nd March 2017, 12:24 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:20 am
Fire crews put out the blaze at Church Street in Berwick.
Fire crews put out the blaze at Church Street in Berwick.

The alarm was raised shortly before midday by a passer-by who saw thick smoke coming out of the chimney of the three-storey property on Church Street.

When fire crews arrived a short time later, flames were bursting out of a ground floor window.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house and rescued a young dog.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

It is not believed there was anyone in the house and police are making enquiries to track down the owner.

Paul Howey, station manager for north Northumberland for Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service, said: “It was quite a severe fire in the ground floor. When firefighters arrived it looked quite spectacular with flames coming from the ground floor window. They got it under control quite quickly and are now checking for hotspots.

“It started in the front lounge but we don’t know the cause yet. A fire investigation officer is on the way.

“Three fire engines were sent initially but the officer in charge called for a fourth when we got here because of its severity, just in case it spread to neighbouring properties.”

The ground floor of the property has been severely damaged and there is significant smoke damage to the first floor.

The blaze was attended by four fire engines; two from Berwick, one from Belford and one from the Scottish Fire Service. Crews used six sets of breathing apparatus.