The incident is ongoing in Embleton and Northern Powergrid has said that power will likely not be restored until 10pm. The fault was reported at 12.18pm.
A resident in the village contacted the Gazette about the issue and said: “The wires were sparking this morning and then there was an explosion at about 12.15pm and the telegraph pole started burning.
“The pole is in one of the fields along Station Road and it is next to the transformer. The pole was burning and it has just collapsed.”
New caravan site gets the green light on the Northumberland coast
Police seize large drugs haul in north Northumberland
Britishvolt 'fully committed' to gigaplant reassurance after online concerns
The top 10 coffee shops in north Northumberland according to TripAdvisor reviewers
Campsite owner seeks permission for 12 touring caravan plots at Northumberland beauty spot
A Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said that firefighters have been in attendance, but need to wait for Northern Powergrid to isolate the power before they can do anything. She added that crews will return if requested.
On its website, Northern Powergrid has said that the power cut has been caused by a ‘problem with one of our overhead power lines’.
CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES