Power cut in Northumberland village after telegraph pole '˜explodes'

A fire has caused a telegraph pole to collapse, leaving around 400 properties in a Northumberland village without power.

Monday, 15th May 2017, 12:53 pm
Updated Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 1:17 pm
The collapsed pole.

The incident is ongoing in Embleton and Northern Powergrid has said that power will likely not be restored until 10pm. The fault was reported at 12.18pm.

A resident in the village contacted the Gazette about the issue and said: “The wires were sparking this morning and then there was an explosion at about 12.15pm and the telegraph pole started burning.

Fire has eaten into the pole, shortly before its collapse.

“The pole is in one of the fields along Station Road and it is next to the transformer. The pole was burning and it has just collapsed.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said that firefighters have been in attendance, but need to wait for Northern Powergrid to isolate the power before they can do anything. She added that crews will return if requested.

On its website, Northern Powergrid has said that the power cut has been caused by a ‘problem with one of our overhead power lines’.

CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES

Fire has eaten into the pole, shortly before its collapse.