It will be commemorating Remembrance Day online on Wednesday, November 11, and details of how residents will be able to join a virtual event to pay their respects will be released soon.
The council is also encouraging residents to take to their doorsteps on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, at 11am to observe the two-minute silence.
As well as strongly advising that the national and local government restrictions are reviewed carefully, the council previously said that it is ‘unable to allow events to take place on council land and can’t allow the closing of any roads in the county, given current restrictions’.
However, the Government subsequently published its detailed guidance, prompting the county council to release an updated statement.
This said: ‘Following Government advice, Remembrance events organised by local authorities (including town and parish councils) can still take place so long as a Covid-19 risk assessment is completed and all reasonable measures to limit the risk of transmission of the virus are taken.
‘To support the organisation and delivery of commemorative services, the council is encouraging event organisers to complete an event notification form (https://tinyurl.com/y4478u6d), which will be considered by the Safety Advisory Group.’
The Government guidance, which can be found here – https://tinyurl.com/y6k3qxxh, says that events should ‘be short and focussed on wreath-laying, with a reduced march past or parade only if social distancing can be maintained’.
Event organisers should ‘take reasonable steps to minimise wider public viewing, encouraging the public to observe the rule of six when spectating’ and must also ‘take reasonable steps to record the contact details of those attending (including those present in a working capacity, and members of the public who stop to spectate)’.
Anyone who needs further information can contact [email protected]