Northumberland crews tackle forest blaze and two house fires in busy weekend for service

Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service were called to two house fires in the county within 15 minutes on Saturday May 30.

Monday, 1st June 2020, 11:51 am
Updated Monday, 1st June 2020, 11:51 am
The forest fire north of Haydon Bridge.

The blazes, which both caused damage to properties, were in Allendale and Blyth, while crews also tackled a large forest fire in the west of Northumberland on Sunday May 31.

At Blyth, everyone was able to escape the properties unharmed and in Allendale, there was nobody in the property at the time of the fire.

The fire service received a call at 2.42pm on Saturday about a garage on fire at Marine Terrace, Blyth, which then spread to the house and a neighbouring property.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The damage at the property in Allendale

Crews from West Hartford, Pegswood and Amble attended and used breathing apparatus, hose reels and positive pressure ventilation to bring the fire under control.

A further call at 2.58pm saw crews from Allendale, Hexham and Haltwhistle attend a property on fire in Market Place, Allendale. The fire caused substantial damage to the property and spread to a neighbouring house.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus, jets and ladders, and late on Saturday afternoon were still working to prevent further damage to the neighbouring property.

Electrical cables were affected, resulting in the power supply in the village having to be isolated.

The damage at the property in Blyth

Specialist investigation teams have been at both sites, looking to determine the cause of the fires.

The following evening, seven appliances – six from Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service and one assisting from Tyne and Wear – were out dealing with a large forest fire north of Haydon Bridge.

At 10.45pm last night, the fire service tweeted: ‘Crews have contained the woodland fire north of Haydon Bridge and brought it under control. They are leaving the site tonight but a team will return tomorrow morning to monitor and dampen down the area. Well done all.’