Perez scores twice on his debut for Alnwick

Easington Colliery 4-3 Alnwick Town

By The Newsroom
Monday, 6th March 2017, 12:00 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:05 am

Alnwick had three players missing from the squad which forced changes in defence but had new signing Samuel Perez in the line up as his International clearance came through on Friday, March 3.

Easington lie eighth in the League and are always a tough team to play but this day they were second best and had to rely on two clear offside goals to allow them to grab the points.

Perez went on to score two goals and nearly a third despite the attention of a disgraceful band of supporters. This was a great performance by the whole squad.

Play was pretty even for the first 20 minutes with both sides creating some half chances on a rice pudding of a pitch and the early stalemate was broken by an atrocious decision by the referee as two players were well offside. The linesman flagged and held his flag up until the referee waved play on.

By that time the Alnwick defence eased off allowing Easington to run on unopposed, and giving Luc Glasper, Alnwick’s goalkeeper, no chance: 1-0 by Brian Lawson.

Alnwick upped their game to command play when a left wing move by Josh Hay into Jonathan Wilson to let loose a terrific shot just over with home keeper Ethan Anderson a spectator.

Alnwick forced a corner and home defence cleared down field but Alnwick went straight back and a through ball into the home penalty area amongst a group of players resulted in an Alnwick player being pushed to the ground. Penalty and Tony Brown stepped up to make it 1-1.

Perez went close just before halftime and a clearance put Easington on the attack down the left for Liam Adamson to blast wide.

Alnwick had the edge. Josh Hay and Logan Power combined for Tony Brown to shoot just wide but the half ended 1-1.

Alnwick were playing good flowing football and restricted the home team to the odd half chance when Samuel Perez out on the left cut in behind the full back to hit a ground shot into the far corner of the net to take the lead 2-1 to the Town. It was at this point that Perez, who had withstood constant abusive chanting, ran past the Easington supporters and put his hand to his ear as they suddenly went quiet and he got a yellow.

Alnwick relaxed straight after and it proved deadly combination of linesman and referee when two home forwards were two yards offside as the Alnwick defence caught them sleeping, the ball was passed by Easington mid-field through the Alnwick defence line. The two home forwards ran on and David Paul gave Glasper no chance, 2-2.

Easington then took the lead via Brian Lawson’s shot which was deflected in: 3-2 to Easington. Alnwick had two good chances through shots by Tony Brown and Josh Hay with Logan Power putting in some good crosses.

Alnwick had the home team rattled when Alnwick drew level when Ross Gair and Jonathan Wilson combined to release Samuel Perez on the left who outpaced the fullback and clipped a high ball over the keeper to make it 3-3.

The plot had another twist when a speculative 20 yard shot swerved and dipped into the net by sub Chris Freeman much against the run of play.

In the dying minutes a terrific shot by Logan Powell hit the Easington cross bar.

Next home game - March 11 v Billingham, KO 3pm.