Waffle the wonder dog fights back to health after battle with deadly parvovirus
and live on Freeview channel 276
Seven-month-old Waffle contracted parvovirus, spread via poo particles, despite having been fully vaccinated.
Fortunately, Waffle – named after the star of CBeebies show ‘Waffle the Wonder Dog’ – is now on the road to recovery after 10 nights in isolation under the care of Alnorthumbria Vets in Alnwick.
Owner Suzi Harper explained: "It’s a really horrible disease but usually very rare due to the introduction of the vaccine.
"Thankfully, with the unbelievable care of the Alnorthumbria vets and by some miracle, Waffle was discharged after 10 long nights in isolation.”
He is now back at their Hebron home being fussed over by her daughters, Annie 11, and Liberty, six.
But Suzi wants to raise awareness of the issue to prevent it happening to others.
“Sadly, so many people have been purchasing puppies without having had the vaccine or people are not aware of the importance of the vaccine this cruel virus is back out there,” she explained.
"I hope this gets the message across about how important a vaccine is – and, of course, the reality of not clearing up after your dog, especially in a public place.”
Parvovirus is most commonly seen in unvaccinated puppies, under six months old.
It infects the lymphatic system and mainly attacks the cells lining the small intestine, causing abdominal pain.
Symptoms include diarrhoea, vomiting, reduced appetite, lethargy and a fever.
Treatment involves hospitalisation in isolation away from other patients so as to prevent infection spreading along with intense supportive care with intravenous fluids, anti-sickness medications, antibiotics for a secondary infection and pain relief.
Dogs may need to be fed through a stomach tube and will need a fluid drip to stop them becoming dehydrated.
Survival chances are much higher if you take them to the vet as soon as you notice symptoms.
Alnorthumbria vet Eilidh Batchelor said: “Thankfully it is a very rare condition nowadays and Waffle is the first case that the practice has seen for many years. The risk to pets is generally very low due to vaccination.”