Vet's warning over beach visits after pets fall ill with sickness and diarrhoea
Dog walkers have been urged to keep their four legged friends from eating and drinking anything from the beach after a veterinary surgery was called in to treat a number of animals who became unwell.
Owners have been given advice on what to steer clear of following a spate of calls to help dogs ill with vomiting and diarrhoea.
With more people heading for the coast to take their lockdown walks, it is hoped dog walkers will help take steps to ensure their animal is stopped from eating anything they find on the shoreline or from drinking sea water to help prevent further illness.
They have also been advised to wash a dog’s feet following each walk.
Berwick man to star in new TV advert
Northumberland Mountain Rescue Team locate the body of a man believed to be a missing walker
New planning report reveals plans for major redevelopment project in Blyth
Sea fret - a look at the foggy phenomenon which spoils sunny days in Northumberland
Ex-soldier Jennifer Day is jailed and issued with road ban after deliberately driving at pensioner in Cramlington car park
Coquet Vets, which is based in Amble, has said it has treated cases after owners visited the town, the Walkworth area and the Northumberland coast with their dog.
A spokesperson for the practice said: “We have seen a lot of dogs with vomiting and diarrhoea in this area.
“If your dog has vomited or passed diarrhoea, has stopped eating – which is not normal for your dog – or is just not quite right please do not hesitate to call us.
"We have found most of these cases are needing treatment and are not resolving on their own.
“We do not know what is causing this, but we please urge you to wash, clean and dry your dog's feet after every walk.
“DO NOT let your dog eat seaweed, sand, sea water, especially the sea froth that washes up.”
Advice on what do to if a dog is sick can be found through this PDSA advice page: https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/pet-health-hub/symptoms/vomiting-in-dogs