Indiana Jones: Bamburgh residents told to expect 'smoke, special effects fireworks and flares and gunfire sounds' as filming starts at castle
Filming has begun at Bamburgh Castle for a new Indiana Jones movie starring Harrison Ford.
The Hollywood legend, 78, is believed to have arrived at the castle on Tuesday evening ahead of a night shoot.
Hundreds of extras were also bussed in, while dozens of production vehicles and trailers descended on the village.
Parts of the castle have been turned into a movie set in recent days, including barbed wire props, while large marquees have been erected on site.
Local residents were notified in advance ‘that there will be use of atmospheric smoke, special effects fireworks and flares and gunfire sounds’ between 7pm and 5am until June 11.
Location manager Lex Donovan, in her letter to residents, said: ‘The filming will take place entirely within the grounds of the castle.
‘Please be aware that there will be use of atmospheric smoke, special effects fireworks and flares and gunfire sounds so please do not be alarmed. The local police and fire brigade are aware of our planned activity.
‘We are excited to be filming in your area and also appreciate that these are unsociable timings but hope that we can keep disruption to you to a minimum.’
The filming has been shrouded in secrecy with security officers asking the public not to take pictures of the film set.
Barbara Brook, chairman of Bamburgh Parish Council, said: “It’s very hush-hush but it’s exciting for the village and it’s helping to bring trade in for the local businesses.”
She lives near the castle and said there had been no disturbance on Tuesday night.
"I think they must have been filming inside because we didn’t hear anything,” she said.
“There were quite a few people who came down to have a look and we think Harrison Ford came past in a car with blacked out windows but it’s very tight security so no-one would say.
"But the main car park was packed with coaches in the evening. There must have been about 200 extras bussed in.”
It is 40 years since the first Indiana Jones film, ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’, hit cinema screens.
Harrison Ford is reported to be working alongside English actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Danish actor, Mads Mikkelsen, on the fifth film of the franchise.
Bamburgh Castle will reopen to the public on Monday, June 14.