Under the plans, large-scale sporting events or performances will be allowed from May 17, giving Great North Run organisers confidence that the event will be able to go ahead this year.
The legendary half marathon from Newcastle to South Shields would have celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2020 but had to be cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
But organisers, Great Run, have confirmed that the event will take place on Sunday, September 12 this year, with 57,000 people taking part.
Reacting to the Government’s plan to ease lockdown, Paul Foster, Chief Executive of The Great Run Company, said: “The Government’s announcement on Monday, was definitely a cause for optimism.
"It offers a clear road map back for everyday life - and, of course, for our events.
“There is still a long way to go, but if everything goes to plan, we're confident we will be able to stage the Great North Run safely in September.”
The continued pace of the vaccination roll out across the UK has also offered hope of a return to some normality in the near future.
Great Run has also confirmed that the Junior and Mini Great North Run is set to take place on Saturday, September 11 on the Newcastle and Gateshead quayside.
Great Run said that Covid-19 measures will be in place for all of its planned events to keep runners safe.
The event organisers also confirmed that the Great North Run is already at capacity because the majority of runners who were due to take part last year have rolled over their places for 2021.
This means that a general ballot will not be taking place, however charity numbers are still up for grabs by contacting each charity directly.
Great Run said youngsters who signed up to last year’s Junior or Mini Great North Run will be given priority access to this year’s event.