Boost to on-street EV infrastructure for residents

Northumberland County Council leader Glen Sanderson.Northumberland County Council leader Glen Sanderson.
Northumberland County Council leader Glen Sanderson.
Initial locations for a project to install some on-street residential charge points for electric vehicles (EVs) in Northumberland include Alnwick and Felton.

County councillors have formally agreed on an expected external funding of £115,337 from the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV).

Road transport accounts for 33 per cent of CO2 in Northumberland according to the most recent report from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in 2018.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There are currently no on-street charging points in the county – creating a barrier for at least 20 per cent of residents in EV adaption.

Seven sites have been identified as ideal locations to install the first charging points. They include Ashington, Bellingham, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Corbridge and Haltwhistle, in addition to Alnwick and Felton.

Fifteen charge points will be installed across the seven locations, allowing up to 30 vehicles to charge at any one time.

County council leader Glen Sanderson said: “We are eager to invest in EV infrastructure across the county and are looking at ways in which we can overcome the barriers our residents face when switching to electric transport.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Those residents without off-street parking do not currently have a convenient way to charge an EV if they were to purchase one. This investment will lead the way in solving this issue.”

Following this formal agreement of the cabinet, the council intends to submit an application to OZEV for the Government funding element of the On-Street Residential Chargepoint Scheme.

If successful, the funding will cover 75 per cent of the project costs, with the council matching the remaining 25 per cent of costs projected.