Our little girl simply didn’t deserve to die

Clover Nolan
Clover Nolan

The heartbroken parents of a young girl who died following an infection feel more could have been done to prevent her death.

Clover Marie Nolan, six, from Alnwick, passed away in the early hours of Monday at Wansbeck General Hospital, after a streptococcal infection brought on sepsis which caused her body to shut down.

But her mum, Lisa Marie Mole, and dad, Shaun Nolan, feel that more should have been done when Clover was seen by a Northern Doctors Urgent Care GP at Alnwick Infirmary.

They intend to make a formal complaint about the way she was treated.

Shaun, 26, said: “She didn’t deserve to die, we feel her death could have been prevented.

“Our hearts are in pieces. She was my first born and she should still be here.”

The youngster, a pupil at St Paul’s RC First School, started feeling ill on Saturday night.

By Sunday morning, she was vomiting and complaining of severe pain in her legs.

Her parents called Northern Doctors Urgent Care out-of-hours service, but said they were told they would have to wait six hours to see a doctor.

Shaun added: “I got angry with the woman on the phone and started swearing at her, but I was upset and wanted them to help my daughter.

“We were eventually told to take her to see a doctor at Alnwick Infirmary. They called back telling us to wait for two hours, but we went anyway.”

Lisa, 32, said she still had to wait for an hour to see a doctor.

“He checked her over and kept checking her pulse, but said it was just flu aches and to go home and take paracetamol.It felt like they weren’t interested in treating her, there was no care for her,” she said.

“It was like she was being punished because we were angry on the phone.”

Clover was taken home, but later in the day she took a turn for the worse. Lisa called for an ambulance at around 9pm and Clover was rushed to Wansbeck General Hospital.

She was due to be transferred to the special care unit at Newcastle RVI, but despite numerous efforts to revive her, she died at around 1am.

Shaun said: “Things need to change at Alnwick. We will fight to get justice for Clover and to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

Dr Alistair Blair, clinical chairman of Northumberland Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Our deepest sympathies go out to Clover’s family at a difficult and distressing time for them. As the organisation responsible for buying urgent care services locally, we take the family’s concerns about Clover’s care extremely seriously.

“A serious incident investigation is underway, and this will examine the family’s concerns and the circumstances around Clover’s death in detail. It would not be appropriate for us to make any further comment while the investigation is taking place.”

Dr Mike Harrison, organisational medical director of Northern Doctors Urgent Care (NDUC), said: “Our deepest sympathies are with the family of Clover Nolan during this extremely sad time.

“We would like to reassure the family that a thorough, in-depth and independent investigation is under way, involving multiple agencies, as is required in the event of an unexpected death.

“Until such time as all the details of the case have been investigated and the independent inquiry has reported, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this stage. In the meantime, we will be cooperating fully with the inquiry team and will await their decision as to whether or not there is a clinical case to answer.”