RAOUL Moat had vowed to ‘destroy lives’ and to keep hunting for police, until he was dead, after shooting PC David Rathband, an inquest heard.
The self-confessed killer made a 999 call after firing at the officer twice while his car was parked on the A69/A1 roundabout in the early hours of July 4 last year.
In the call, Moat, 37, said he had ‘just downed an officer’ and added: “I’m going to destroy lives, just like you have destroyed mine.”
Moat died on the banks of the River Coquet in Rothbury after a seven-hour stand off with police.
A jury of 11 was sworn in at Newcastle Crown Court today to hear evidence in the inquiry into his death.
Newcastle coroner David Mitford said the case would be long and complex.
He asked jurors to try to forget what they had already heard about the Moat case and focus on what they would hear in the court.
Giving evidence this afternoon Northumbria Police’s Superintendent Jim Napier, read a letter, left with Moat’s friend, which gave information to the police.
It confessed to the killing of Chris Brown in Birtley, and the attempted murder of Samantha Stobbart, his ex-girlfriend and PC David Rathband.
It added: “The public may not fear me but the police should. I won’t stop until I am dead.
“I am a killer and a maniac but I ain’t no coward. I am not on the run, I will keep killing police until I am dead. You have hunted me for years now it is my turn.”
The jury heard that Moat’s rampage started after Miss Stobbart broke off their six-year relationship.
The letter read by Supt Napier said that Moat had finally found the person he wanted to be with.
It said ‘all my life I wanted death’ but after finding her his life had changed.
Supt Napier added that Moat had threatened to take his own life in the past.
Moat also detailed is lack of a family and his loneliness and apologised for hurting Miss Stobbart saying he only wanted to cause her an injury so that she could claim compensation, but Supt Napier said he did not agree with this claim.
He went on to detail Karl Ness and Qhuram Awan’s involvement in the case as accomplices.
The pair were given multiple life sentences earlier this year after being found guilty of assisting Moat.
Videos of Ness and Awan at Sainsbury’s in Alnwick were shown as well as a recording of their arrest on the B6344 on July 6 when the search moved to Rothbury.
Supt Napier told the jury that during the course of the criminal investigation Northumbria Police took 1,542 witness statements and that it had been the biggest police operation in the country at the time.
Coroner Mr Mitford swore in a jury of five men and six womn this morning.
He said: “The jury is required because Mr Moat mer his death in circumstances where he was effectively detained, although he wasn’t arrested, by armed police officers.”
Moat’s brother Angus his father Peter Blake and uncle Charles Alexander were at today’s hearing as well as barristers for the Moat family, the Chief Constable of Northumbria Police, West Yorkshire Police officers and Pro-Tec Limited, the firm that supplied new shotgun Taser weapons, were in court.The case continues tomorrow and is expected to last up to four weeks.