Man arrested after car crashes into house in Northumberland

Residents in a Blyth housing estate were stunned after a car crashed into the front room of a house yesterday evening.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 27th July 2018, 1:30 pm
Updated Friday, 27th July 2018, 1:32 pm
A car crashes into a house in Ark Royal Close, Cowpen, in Blyth.
A car crashes into a house in Ark Royal Close, Cowpen, in Blyth.

Two people were taken to the Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital in Cramlington and a 43-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving following the incident involving a Range Rover at Ark Royal Close, Cowpen.

The specialist rescue teams had to enter the house from the rear after it was made safe with hydraulic jacks to extricate the two people from the car, who were brought out through the remains of the front window.

Emergency services at the scene of the incident.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “At about 7.51pm yesterday, police received a report of a collision on Ark Royal Close in Blyth.

“Emergency services attended the scene after a Range Rover collided with two vehicles before colliding with a house.

“The occupants of the vehicle, a man and woman, were taken to hospital with injuries that were not serious. Nobody in the house was injured.

“Ark Royal Close was temporarily closed whilst emergency services worked, but has since re-opened.

“A 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and remains in police custody.

“Inquiries are ongoing and anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 – quoting log 1136 26/07/18.”

A Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We were called to an incident in Cowpen at 7.53pm yesterday. We had an appliance from West Hartford and one from Pegswood in attendance, along with our Special Rescue Unit.

“We requested additional support from the gas and electricity board to isolate supplies, along with a structural engineer from Northumberland Council.

“We worked alongside the ambulance service to extricate two casualties from the vehicle. The incident was left in the hands of the housing association.”