Hundreds of people fined for litter and dog-fouling offences in Northumberland

Hundreds of people have been fined this year for littering and dog fouling in Northumberland.

Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 1:35 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:02 pm
Brought to you by the Northumberland Gazette.

New figures show that Northumberland County Council has taken action against scores of offenders throughout 2016.

So far this year, 93 fixed-penalty fines of £75 have been issued for dog fouling.

A further five people have been prosecuted in court for allowing their dogs to foul land, resulting in fines of up to £330.

On top of this, 181 fixed-penalty fines of £50 have been issued for littering and 28 people have been prosecuted in court, resulting in fines up to £220.

The council has carried out a range of enforcement programmes to target littering and dog-fouling hotspots throughout Northumberland.

Patrols include weekends and throughout the day, including early mornings and evenings.

The Love Northumberland Hate Litter campaign has also been launched.

The council’s business chairman, Coun Scott Dickinson, said: “Our green spaces, unspoilt beaches and rolling countryside are some of the main reasons tourists flock to Northumberland and it’s vital we do all we can to ensure it looks its best.

“Tourism is a key part of our economy and we can’t let the actions of a small minority spoil an area, affect people’s quality of life or potentially affect our economy.

“The number of people prosecuted and fined this year demonstrates our zero-tolerance approach to this offensive behaviour and this will continue.

“And while enforcement is important, we are committed to continuing to educate people about littering and dog fouling, while also carrying out clear-ups in our towns and on our roads.

“We want the county to be looking its best and will be doing all we can to try and ensure it stays clean and tidy.”

You can report dog fouling, littering including from vehicles or fly tipping, by calling 0345 600 6400 or do it via the county council’s website.