Horse put to sleep after being spooked by fireworks

A north Northumberland woman was left devastated after her beloved horse had to be put down due to the injuries sustained when he was spooked by fireworks.

Wednesday, 2nd November 2016, 4:06 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 2:58 pm
Nelly Shell with Boy.

The 27-year-old was alerted to the incident by a friend who kept her horse in the same field at Bamburgh.

She discovered that her 12-year-old thoroughbred, Boy, had cut his legs, severed a tendon and damaged his cannon bone when he ran into a barbed wire fence after becoming panicked by the loud bangs. The severity of the injuries meant that he had to be put to sleep.

Last Thursday, Nelly posted on Facebook: “Today I have to say goodbye to my amazing gentle Boy. I am absolutely heartbroken as this could have been avoided if people didn’t feel the need to set fireworks off right next to their field.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fireworks have also led to the tragic demise of a dog this year in Whitley Bay, as reported by our sister paper the News Guardian.

Nine-year-old collie Shearer was spooked by a burst of unplanned fireworks while out on a walk near St Mary’s lighthouse. He ran along the Links then down onto the beach and was last seen trying to get up the rocks.

A week later, it was announced that Shearer had been found on Redcar beach after reports of a collie being washed up.

Have your say on whether fireworks should be banned for sale to the public in our reader poll – http://tinyurl.com/zu58g95