Homes evacuated after fire led to chemical explosion risk in Bedlington Station, Northumberland - residents looked after by gym and ice cream shop
Homes were evacuated after a fire involving sheds storing chemicals in Northumberland.
Crews from Northumberland Fire and Rescue were scrambled to the Bedlington Station area on Saturday, March 27, after the blaze broke out.
The fire involved sheds in the area which contained acetylene and other cylinders, posing an explosive risk.
Residents evacuated were looked after by nearby gym and an ice cream shop.
Supported by Northumbria Police, North East Ambulance Service and staff from Northumberland County Council, fire crews had to temporarily evacuate local residents to a rest centre at Contract Gym on Station Road.
Three crews from Pegswood and two crews from West Hartford attended using breathing apparatus, jets and ground monitors to bring the situation under control.
Crews were able to cool cylinders and make the area safe by the early hours of Sunday, March 28 and residents were able to return home.
Rescue crews and Northumberland County Council praised those evacuated and thanked them for their patience and understanding in supporting the emergency services in dealing with this incident.
Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service and its partners said they would like to thank Contract Gym and Aunty Jo's in the Station Road area for making their premises available to be used as a rest centre and looking after the displaced residents so well until they were allowed back home.
The combined efforts of all those responding to the incident ensured there were no injuries to anyone.
The Fire Investigation team remained on site into the early hours to conduct their investigations and further investigations with Northumbria Police will be conducted today.