Last week saw a great turnout of more than 80 people to our client evening on “Canine Care and First Aid” at Heighley Gate Nursery and Garden Centre, near Morpeth, and we would like to thank our clients who came along and made it such a successful evening.
Our vet, Sara, talked about how to recognise an emergency, how to assess our dogs and what we can do to help.
Sara showed clients how to measure a dog’s vitals signs, such as breathing rate and heart rate, and how to judge abnormal gum colour.
Various common emergencies were then discussed, including poisoning, seizures, broken legs and bloat.
With the fireworks season fast approaching the talk finished by discussing how to keep both scared dogs and anxious owners calm.
At the end of the hour-long talk there was plenty of time for questions.
Sara was kept on her toes by a multitude of questions, ranging from what to do when your dog is bitten by an adder and you are in the middle of nowhere, to the dangers of lung worm in the North East of England.
All in all, it was a great evening and we hope to continue them in the future.
If you have any ideas about what you would like to hear about please let us know.