Fire service warn to avoid using Chinese lanterns after a close call

Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service are warning members of the public to avoid using Chinese lanterns after one became attached the roof of a house.

Wednesday, 20th November 2019, 9:39 am
Updated Wednesday, 20th November 2019, 11:16 am
The lantern extinguished itself. Photo: Northumberland Fire and Rescue

At 6.28pm on Tuesday, November 19, Northumberland Fire and Rescue officers were called to reports of a fire on the roof of a house on Southfield Green in Cramlington.

Crews from West Hartford Fire Station were sent to the scene where a lit Chinese lantern was attached to the roof of the house.

A spokeswoman for Northumberland Fire and Rescue said: “Luckily, it had extinguished itself and there was no damage.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

An extension ladder was used to unhook the lantern from the roof after the fire was out.

Officers are now warning the public to avoid the use of Chinese lanterns.

The spokeswoman added: “Please do not use Chinese lanterns as they are a fire risk.”