Alnwick man made ‘threats to kill’ in mobile phone call

An Alnwick man has been given a two-year restraining order after pleading guilty to harrassment.

Bryan Thompson, 42, of Narrowgate Court, made ‘threats to kill’ in a phone call to Matthew Collins, Mid and South East Northumberland Magistrates’ Court heard last week.

Thompson had originally denied a charge of stalking involving serious harm or distress. But after prosecution evidence was heard, he admitted a lesser charge.

The offence relates to incidents which took place on October 14 and 19 last year concerning Mr Collins’ relationship with Thompson’s ex-partner, Helen Louise Smith.

Mr Collins told the court that he had a missed call on his mobile phone on October 17 from a number he did not recognise.

He said: “I texted the number to ask who it was and I had another phone call.

“It was threats to kill down the phone. I recognised the voice, it was Bryan Thompson.

“He said ‘if you don’t leave Louise alone I am going to kill you.’”

Two days prior to the call Thompson had been given a police information notice warning him about harrassment of Mr Collins.

But on October 19, Thompson confronted Mr Collins in the Black Swan pub, in Alnwick, and said the pair needed to ‘have words’.

Mr Collins said: “I felt scared and intimidated.”

Defending, Graham Crouth said problems had developed as a result of something that happened at Thompson’s birthday party in 2012.

He added that Thompson felt Mr Collins was spreading lies about him to Miss Smith, which put a strain on their friendship.

He added: “In October he became aware that Miss Smith and Mr Collins were spending time togeher and his view was that there was a relationship but he may be wrong about that.

Mr Crouth said Thompson was suffering from mental health problems at the time of the offence and had tried to take his own life towards the end of last year.

Thompson was also fined £375 and ordered to pay £200 costs and £37 victim surcharge. The restraining order means he cannot contact Mr Collins, directly or indirectly, for two years.