Busy day for Seahouses lifeboat crew

Picture by Seahouses RNLI.
Picture by Seahouses RNLI.

A woman who suffered a pelvic injury following a fall on a passenger boat off the north Northumberland coast was helped by the RNLI.

At 2:20pm on Tuesday, UK Coastguard requested the assistance of Seahouses lifeboat crew, to assist the local coastguard team in helping the woman, who had been brought back to the harbour.

She was conscious but in great pain, and required pain relief which the lifeboat crew can administer. One of the crew, who is a local doctor, was also on the station for crew training, and was able to respond immediately.

The ambulance service had given a delayed response for an ambulance, due to a high call demand. The casualty was given pain relief aboard the boat, and carefully transferred to a stretcher, and carried to the lifeboat station, to await an ambulance. The doctor remained with her, until arrival of an ambulance, which took her to hospital at Cramlington.

As the ambulance was leaving at 3.20pm, UK Coastguard requested the launch of Seahouses all weather lifeboat, to convey the ambulance HART (Hazardous Area Rescue Team), from Seahouses to Holy Island, to treat a seriously ill female.

The lifeboat quickly launched and stood by till arrival of the HART Team, who were transported at 4pm to Holy Island. On arrival they were met by the local coastguard team, who took them to the casualty’s location.

The casualty was treated by the ambulance personnel and stabilised. The tide was falling, and it was possible for a road ambulance to cross the causeway and convey the female to hospital. The HART team were then brought back to Seahouses on the lifeboat, while two of the team went with the casualty on the road ambulance.

Seahouses Lifeboat Operations Manager Ian Clayton said: “Both incidents showed good co-operation between the emergency services involved, and the UK Coastguard operations room. They were the type of jobs RNLI crews train for, and we hope both casualties can make a good recovery. What started as a routine training afternoon, turned into a busy day.”