Boy’s lucky escape after lorry collision

The scene on Monday morning.
The scene on Monday morning.

THE family of a teenage boy, who was airlifted to hospital after crashing his bike into a lorry, has praised the emergency services and passers-by for their help.

Police, paramedics and the Great North Air Ambulance all attended the scene in Alnwick on Easter Monday when 14-year-old Jack Jorgensen was distracted while riding and collided with the rear of a delivery lorry.

Jack Jorgensen.

Jack Jorgensen.

He was cycling in the Greenwell Lane car park when the incident happened at around 10am with the wagon making deliveries to the rear of Bondgate Within.

Jack was taken by helicopter to the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) in Newcastle where he was treated for a broken arm and facial injuries.

His parents Kenneth and Louise, of Belle Vue Gardens in Alnwick, said: “We are just so grateful to the two young guys who were so quick to assist with first aid, the staff at the White Swan Hotel and other passers-by who stopped to help.

“The ambulance paramedics and air ambulance crew were all great.”

Jack was released from hospital on Tuesday night and was pleased to be at home in his own bed for a rest.

Mr Jorgensen said: “The things he was mostly upset about were that he missed our church’s Easter Monday activity in Ingram Valley, that he couldn’t remember the helicopter ride to the RVI with his mum and that he won’t be able to do his newspaper round for some time.

“He has suffered a broken arm, has a big black eye and badly-cut lips.

“His lips needed stitching for 90 minutes but the doctor did a great job.

“Before coming home, the consultant at the RVI told Jack he was a ‘very, very lucky boy’.”

On the morning of the incident, Jack was given first aid before the police and ambulance arrived, while the Great North Air Ambulance helicopter was also called.

The pilot managed to land in one of the car parks with very little room to spare between the ends of the rotor blades and surrounding lampposts and trees on the neighbouring Alnwick Castle site.

Traffic turning into Greenwell Lane to gain access to the car parks was turned around, causing some minor disruption.

But the car park was open again by around 10.45am after police took photographs of the scene and statements from witnesses.