Bowlers hold the key as Tillside remain top with win in derby

Tillside beat Berwick 1st XI by six wickets to claim another 30 points and stay top of the Premier League with three games to go.

Thursday, 1st September 2016, 9:49 am
Updated Thursday, 1st September 2016, 11:26 am

Berwick won the toss and decided to bat first, which proved to be a good decision at the start. Sean Wales and Scott Middlemist got the home side off to a flyer and found themselves 119-0 shortly after the drinks break.

Tillside’s bowlers continued to put the hard graft in, before Dickson removed Middlemist for 45, and this swung things in Tillside’s direction.

Jake Birkett then dismissed Wales for 51 and regularly picked up wickets to help Tillside get back into the game by finishing with 4-40 off 13 overs.

Calum Bickerton was bowling from the other end and continued to bowl tightly, which paid off as he claimed wickets just as often as Birkett. He finished with 4-45 off 12.2 overs as he finished Berwick’s innings off.

Dickson claimed the other wicket to finish with 2-26 off 11 overs.

This meant Berwick were all out for 156, an excellent effort from Tillside to keep the home side to this total, despite being 119-0.

This gave Tillside some momentum going into bat and Liam Hindmarsh and Jack Bagness got the side off to a flyer. Liam attacked right from the off as Bagness played another supporting role to allow his partner the freedom of scoring.

Hindmarsh quickly passed 50 before being dismissed for 57.

Bagness continued to support Ross Hindmarsh, before he was out for 23. Ross was then joined by Law Atkinson and both batters looked settled before an eventful run out.

Ross claimed he was being a gentleman by running to save Law, but then tried to stay in, despite knowing it was him who had to go. However, Ross was told by the umpires that he had to go and was out for 21, including one six.

Birkett then joined Atkinson at the crease and scored quickly again, despite definitely not being an aggressive batter any more.

Birkett hit a couple of sixes to edge the visitors closer to victory. Atkinson was dismissed with not many runs needed, and Gareth Hill went in and made sure that the team claimed the full 30 points with a six wicket victory.

Warkworth, who started the day just a handful of points off the top of the Premier League, saw their title hopes dashed when they were beaten by six wickets at home to Corbridge.

Warkworth batted first, and with opener Stephen Dargue top-scoring on 35 and Ian Clough on 23, they managed to put on 103 all out, with Dean Robertson claiming 4-27 and Russell Perry and Andrew Dover both three wickets apiece.

It then took Corbridge less than 22 overs to reach their target, with opener Ross Atkinson leading the charge on an unbeaten 63, an innings that included 12 boundaries.

Adam Hall, with 4-32, claimed all four wickets for the home side.

Meanwhile, Ulgham had a 35 run victory over Blyth in the Premier League.

David Covell hit 63 off 75 balls, and with Nick Dodds on 44 off 32, they posted 211-7 in their 50 overs.

In reply, Mark Lawrence hit 44 and Craig Smith 34, but Blyth were all out for 176 in 38 overs, with Darrell Campbell taking 3-31.

Warenford lost by four wickets when they faced Blagdon Park 2nds at home in Division 1.

Brian Thompson top scored with 55, whilst Daniel Patterson hit 46 and Michael Thompson 36 as Waren opened with 186-7 in their 50 overs.

Alex Higgins took 3-55 for Blagdon, who in reply had Stuart Dick hit an unbeaten 63 as they went on to make 189-6 in the 46th over.

Graham Rogerson and Tom Smith both claimed two wickets apiece for the home side.

In Division 2, Embleton played with only eight players, but still managed to beat Clara Vale 2nds at home by 34 runs.

Hedley Grey hit 50 as Embleton put on 106-7 in less than 27 overs.

Clara Vale then only had one bat in double figures, Elliott Lee on 18, as they were skittled for 72, with Evan Thorpe taking 3-13.

League leaders Tillside 2nds were handed maximum points when Bomarsund were unable to raise a team and conceded.

In division three, leaders Wooler were due to play on Sunday, but their game away to Hebburn was cancelled because of rain.

They only picked up five points as a result, but remain 49 points clear at the top of the table.

Also in the third division, Rock had a three wicket win away to Gateshead Ethnic Minorities 2nds.

GEMs batted first and put on 164-8 in their 40 overs, with Rock hitting 167-7 in reply in less than 28 overs.

Alnmouth and Lesbury’s game away to Civil Service 2nds was cancelled and the Northumberland side were awarded full points.

The Ulgham 2nds’ game was also called off on Sunday, due to wet weather.