Boat-tragedy victims named

The scene at Whitby Fish Market where Mark Arries and Edward Ide were found dead aboard a boat.
The scene at Whitby Fish Market where Mark Arries and Edward Ide were found dead aboard a boat.

Police have named the two Northumberland fishermen who were found dead on board a boat in Whitby.

Mark Arries, 26, from Amble, and Edward Ide, 21, from Blyth, were discovered in their beds yesterday morning.

The pair, who were both educated at Amble’s Coquet High School, had been working on the vessel M22 Eshcol.

It is believed that they were victims of carbon-monoxide poisoning, but other lines of inquiry are on-going.

The boat is one of a small party of vessels, all registered at Milford Haven in South Wales, that had been fishing for scallops off the Whitby coast for a number of weeks.

A small market had been held at the Pier Road fish market in Whitby early on Wednesday morning, with no idea of the tragedy that had struck the vessel, moored just next to the building.

The vessel had been berthed beside the market building to allow it to be refuelled, and it is only when the fuel tanker arrived that the bodies were discovered.

Darren Butcher, of Whitby Fish Market, said: “As I got here there was shouting and they were trying to wake them up.

“Then at about 9.45am when the other crew were here, they must have thought ‘hey up, where’s these two lads?’ They’ve gone aboard, kicked the door in and obviously found them there.”

The vessel has a crew of three people, with another man opting to sleep on a different vessel the previous night, a decision which appears to have saved his life.

The vessels are visiting Whitby to exploit scallop shoals which are found off the coastline.

The boats would normally have been at sea, had poor weather not forced them to remain in the harbour.

RNLI chaplain, David Smith, spoke to our sister paper, the Whitby Gazette, after the town’s lifeboat team helped take the bodies of two crew members off the boat.

He said: “It is part of the training, but it does not help when you get things like this happening. As a community, Whitby will be devastated.

“When boats are at sea, things happen, which is obviously why the RNLI go out on jobs, but you don’t expect a boat in the harbour to go through this.”

Police added that the deaths are currently unexplained, there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances and no one else is being sought in connection with the incident.

The Health and Safety Executive has been informed of the deaths.

○ The original version of this story carried information from North Yorkshire Police that Mark Arries came from Blyth. This was incorrect and we apologise to family and friends for any offence caused.