ANY decision regarding cuts to the ambulance service in north Northumberland has been put on hold by councillors until the North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) can reconsider its proposals.
It was agreed at Northumberland County Council’s executive meeting on Monday that the NEAS should reconsider its proposals before any changes could go ahead.
Coun Margaret Richards said a number of concerns about the impact of the review had been raised during a ‘heated’ meeting in Berwick in February, which was attended by around 85 members of the public.
Coun Ian Lindley said: “Feelings are running very high.
“We continue to attempt to get some leverage on the situation.
“We are aiming to get things right for the people of Northumberland.”
Coun Isabel Hunter said: “Personally I can’t support the reduction of the ambulance area.
“It’s the rural area that’s suffering.
“There is such a distance to travel to get to a hospital. I would like some reassurance from the NEAS.”