Outgoing Mayor Craig Weir presented him with a certificate honouring this achievement and a bottle of his favourite tipple, funded by personal contributions from the other councillors.
Coun Hinson served as Mayor on several occasions, most recently 2012-2013.
• Coun Jane Dargue has been elected as Amble’s new mayor, while Coun Helen Lewis will stand as her deputy. Coun Dargue replaces Coun Craig Weir in the civic role. Coun Weir was thanked and praised at the meeting for his enthusiasm, dedication and hard work as mayor. Coun Jeff Watson said: “I think you have been exemplary. I congratulate you.”
• Martin Horn has been co-opted onto the town council to fill the vacant Amble Central ward seat. Mr Horn secured his place by a majority decision after a secret ballot by town councillors, beating fellow candidates Philip Stuckey and William Robinson. The council said it was pleased that three ‘excellent candidates’ had come forward.
• Coun Jeff Watson is trying to negotiate a deal with the county council about the opening and closing times of the toilets beside Amble Tourist Information Centre. He said: “I have a meeting on May 26. I will negotiate and bring it back to the town council.”
• A special prize will be awarded to the person who picks up the most unusual item during the next community tidy-up, which takes place on Wednesday, May 25, meeting in the Town Square at 5pm. A similar award was handed out last year to the winner, who picked up a dead seagull, Coun Craig Weir said. There will also be teas/coffees served to litter-pickers afterwards. It follows a previous litter-pick in April, attracting around 20 residents and 22 cadets and councillors praised them for their efforts.
• The town council is wanting to extend the Mayor’s chain and is asking people if they would like to buy a link for £150 each. Purchasers would have their name on the back of the link they bought. Email [email protected] if interested.