Alnwick unable to stop the unbeaten run of Billingham


By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 2:37 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 7:49 pm


Billingham, who remain unbeaten in League and Cups so far this season, extended their run with a deserving victory over Alnwick on Saturday.

Alnwick, who had fought their way back from 2-0 down to win 3-4 at Tow Law in midweek, knew their task when they travelled south was a difficult one.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Town had to ring the changes with three players injured, two with family and work commitments.

Billingham deserved this victory but Alnwick made two mistakes for their first two goals and their third was one of those strikes that had everything to beat Town keeper Dominic McMahon who had no chance, no keeper would have been able to keep the ball out.

Synthonia fielded a team of Academy players and some that had played at a higher level and should be in the mix for promotion.

Alnwick started straight away to attach and a 10 minute incident with a hand ball by a Synthonia defender was waved away. Synthonia was soon on attack and a move from left to right to McCorry Magstaff cut inside the defender and his rising shot did not trouble the Town keeper. Alnwick found it hard at time to penetrate the last third but did make some gaps, one of which a long ball found James Jackson to Liam Brooks for him to beat the defender and hit the ball the home keeper Guy Craggs found difficult to control.

Then Tom McPherson was called upon to make a last minute clearance to keep Synthonia out.

Synthonia dominated possession and it was not surprising that they made a fantastic chance when Shay Liddell hit a straight ball across the face of the Alnwick goal.

There then followed a period of intense pressure the first calling on Town keeper Dominic to make a point blank save from Max Craggs but could not stop Synthonia taking the lead on the half hour when Nathan Steel to head in: 1-0.

Alnwick kept going forward and Hay and Brooks combined but it took three defenders to stop Hay. With the first half coming to a close where Town keeper Dominic McMahon forced to dive full length save McCorry Magstaff so the half ended with Synthonia 1-0 up and deserved their lead.

Straight after the restart Alnwick were caught gifting the home team a chance which Matthew Osmond accepted to score and make it 2-0.

Alnwick still kept attacking but let themselves down at times with the use of too many long balls. In the second half Alnwick tightened things up after Synthonia’s second goal and restricted Synthonia with fewer chances.

Synthonia wrapped things up with a goal that would be goal of the month in many Leagues.

May Craggs one two with Danny Brunskill who took two paces in on the left and let fly with a thunderous rising shot that dipped and went in the far corner. Town keeper Dominic had no chance. That made it 3-0 to Synthonia when the referee blew for fulltime.

No doubt Billingham Synthonia deserved to win and will go on to take honours this season. Their squad is large and full of Academy and higher league players.

Alnwick: McMahon, Douglas, Dundas, Giles, McPherson, Jackson, Riddell, Brown, Hay, Brooks, Graham (Lower). Sub: Bailes.