Bill Grisdale and Sue Allcroft have been re-elected as Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Alnwick respectively.
At the annual meeting of the town council, both were the only candidate put forward for the roles. 2015/16 will be Coun Grisdale’s third term as Mayor.
• Mayor of Alnwick Bill Grisdale provided a brief report on 2014/15, highlighting some of the key events in the town over the past 12 months, which included the hosting of the Queen’s Baton Relay ahead of the Commonwealth Games, First World War commemorations and the annual carol concert.
• Rachael Roberts and David Farrar will continue as chairmen of the planning, highways and transport, and cemetery committees respectively, Peter Broom is the new chairman of recreation and amenities and Alan Symmonds is finance and policy chairman.
• The town council is to advertise a part-time projects and funding officer post, starting later this month. The three-day-a-week role is seen as helping to address the gap left by the demise of Alnwick Community Development Trust and will include the delivery of the council’s actions in the neighbourhood plan and community action proposals, other council priority projects and to assist local organisations, including festivals and events, with how to access funding opportunities.
• Northumberland County Council is consulting on changing the time limit in the section of the Greenwell Lane car park behind Iceland from all-day to four-hours, with no return within five hours. Members agreed to support this, but it was pointed out that the town council needed to have further discussions on parking limits elsewhere.
• As reported by the Gazette, the county council is calling on communities to make the most of the Tour of Britain passing through the county in September. The recreation and amenities committee is to look at this.