Pictured are a number of Bamburgh WI members celebrating the 95th birthday of their institute and the installation of their fifth seat in the village.
In 1953, the institute presented a seat to the village to commemorate the Queen’s Coronation, 60 years later the seat has been replaced to commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The original seat was made from the teak timbers off the SS Atlantic by a firm of ship breakers, Hughes and Bolckow of Blyth. This ship was possibly a vessel that sank in 1873 under the flag of the White Star Line, the same line as the Titanic.
The WI has retained a plaque, made from the seat structure, which holds the registration plate of the brokers, and a copper plaque celebrating the Coronation as it is felt to be of historic interest.