There are three sets of 10 questions. The first set is on the North East, the second is history, the third is general knowledge.
Answers are at the end of each round. Good luck and no cheating mind.
The North East round
1. Ten miles either way, how long is the River Wear?
2. Two pairs of brothers have played in the Premier League for Sunderland and Newcastle United respectively (one brother at each club). Give the surname of either pair.
3. Which military general, born in Sunderland in 1795, has a statue erected in his honour in Trafalgar Square?
4. Which explorer was born in Middlesbrough in 1728?
5. Give any year in the life of George Stephenson?
6. Which North East parliamentary constituency had Iain Wright as its MP between 2004 and 2017?
7. Which North East newspaper, founded in 1849, is the oldest provincial newspaper in the UK?
8. Which shopping centre was officially opened in Murton, County Durham, in 2003 by Tara Palmer-Tomkinson?
9. In which Northumberland town can you visit the Bagpipe Museum?
10. Which Durham County cricketer captained England to the Twenty20 World Cup in 2010?
Answers: North East
1. 60 miles 2. Howey (Lee and Steven) and Alnwick (Ben and Jak) 3. Henry Havelock 4. Captain James Cook 5. 1781-1848 6. Hartlepool 7. The Shields Gazette 8. Dalton Park 9. Morpeth 10. Paul Collingwood
The history round
1. In which city was Germany’s official surrender signed on what is now called VE Day?
2. Which late 20th century US president used the slogan ‘It’s the economy, stupid’ to win an election?
3. In 1934 which steam locomotive became the first to reach 100mph?
4. Which Norwegian explorer sailed across the Pacific in the Kon-Tiki raft in 1947?
5. On which island did Queen Victoria die in 1901?
6. Thabo Mbeki stood down as president of which country in 2008? He was replaced by Jacob Zuma.
7. Which British science-fiction writer described World War One as ‘The war to end all wars’?
8. Which former First Lady of the United States founded a drug and alcohol rehabilitation clinic in California?
9. On which island did Napoleon die in 1821?
10. Who was the famous father of Edward III?
1. Berlin 2. Bill Clinton (in 1992) 3. The Flying Scotsman 4. Thor Heyerdahl 5. The Isle of Wight 6. South Africa 7. HG Wells 8. Betty Ford 9. St Helena 10. Edward II
The general knowledge round
1. In which situation comedy did Frank Thornton, best known for Are You Being Served, play a retired policemen called Herbert Truelove?
2. Which British former political party leader married Justine Thornton in 2011?
3. Which world famous musician married Nancy Shevell in 2011?
4. Who ‘wrote’ the 2006 novel Angel?
5. Who painted Salvatore Mundi (Saviour of the World) in around 1500, which became the world’s most expensive painting when it was sold for $450m in November 2017?
6. Which TV chef died as a documentary about him was being broadcast on Channel 4 in September 2009?
7. Born in Yorkshire in the 1940s, what were the siblings Paul and Barry Elliot better known as?
8. Who was top scorer with six goals at the 2018 World Cup in Russia?
9. In the Old Testament, who was seduced by his daughters after his wife had been turned to a pillar of salt?
10. Which 1975 song contains the line ‘Just one look and I can hear a bell ring; One more look and I forget everything, o-o-o-oh’?
Answers: general knowledge
1. Last of the Summer Wine 2. Ed Miliband 3. Paul McCartney 4. Katie Price (it’s the tale of a young glamour model who falls for a gorgeous but dangerous pop star) 5. Leonardo da Vinci 6. Keith Floyd 7. The Chuckle Brothers 8. Harry Kane 9. Lot 10. Mama Mia