Fifty years ago this month, the Gazette reported on a mystery surrounding four stones in north Northumberland commemorating the Battle of Waterloo and the Duke of Wellington’s victory over Napoleon.
Back then, it was to tie in with the 150th anniversary and this year, on June 18, it’s the 200th anniversary of the famous victory in modern-day Belgium.
The stones, three upright and one horizontal slab, were then to be found in a field on Newton Home Farm, the property of Capt FNH Widdrington, of Newton Hall. The central stone bore the inscription, Napoleon Finally Subdued by Wellington At Waterloo, June 18, 1815. The stones on either side each bore the name D’Anzo. Below, on one, was the name Thomas Philips and the date September 1815 and on the other, N Jones, 1815. The lettering on the slab was indecipherable.
Pictured above is Wilson Fisher, who rented the farm at the time, who told the Gazette back then that he understood that the stones were erected by Alexander Davison, of Swarland Hall, the naval contractor who erected an obelisk near Felton on the old Great North Road which commemorates his friendship with Nelson.
Does anyone know any more about the stones and whether they are still there today?