Looking back 10, 25, 50 years ago (published Gazette, Sept 12, 2013)

The Northumberland Gazette delves into the archives to remind readers of stories from the past.

10 YEARS AGO – Thursday, September 11, 2003

A group of 220 residents are demanding action to improve a street dubbed part of ‘the forgotten end’ of Alnwick. Occupants of Cedar Grove have signed a petition highlighting the many problems of living in the street, including vandalism to cars, regular break-ins and inadequate police presence. They have presented it to Alnwick District Council , which they claim is failing them in basic service provision. A deputation of six residents recently held a showdown meeting with Town Mayor Ken Gray, district councillor for their Clayport ward. Allison Crate said: “It just feels as if, ‘ah, it’s up there’. It’s like the forgotten end of town. It said in Country Life, Alnwick is the best place to live. They have obviously not showed them up here.”

25 YEARS AGO – Thursday, September 8, 1988

Identity cards are on the way for young drinkers in the Alnwick district as licensees try to tighten up on teenage drinking. A meeting of the Alnwick and District Licensed Victuallers Association (LVA) on Tuesday night confirmed that an ID card scheme would be launched as soon as possible. Their plan is to provide cards to the police who will issue them to over 18s on production of a birth certificate and photograph of themselves. LVA chairman Mr David Cousins, of the Hotspur Hotel, Alnwick, said the scheme would be voluntary and left to the youngsters themselves to apply for cards. He explained the cards were most likely to appeal to youngsters who were over 18 years old but looked younger: “Those who looked 18 are probably not going to bother,” said Mr Cousins.

50 YEARS AGO – Friday, September 13, 1963

One hundred and fifty tons of baled hay was destroyed at the Harbottle farm of Mr George Murray when fire broke out in a Dutch barn last Thursday night. The alarm was raised at 10.20pm and two units of Rothbury Fire Brigade rushed to the blaze. They were followed by units from Alnwick and Wooler. Work was hampered by a lack of water, which had to be supplied by a shuttle service of three tenders between Newton Farm and the river at Alwinton nearly two miles away. A difficult task was made worse when a high wind sprang up in the early hours of Friday, but despite the sparks and intense heat, the firemen succeeded in confining the blaze to the steel and asbestos barn. Little hay was saved and the barn was severely damaged. A fireman said the cause of the fire was not known.