50 years ago this week: Friday, October 13, 1961

TWO farming partners in Bamburgh district lost part of their winter stock of hay on Tuesday night when more than 400 bales went up in flames on the Budle Hall farm of Messrs Brown and Anderson. Damage was estimated at £1,000.

The fire, which broke out in a long barn, severely damaged the building, and firemen from Belford, Alnwick and Seahouses fought for over three hours before the blaze was brought under control.

The outbreak was discovered by Mrs Nancy Anderson who went to buy ice cream for her children.

She was returning to the farm when she noticed flames coming from the barn.

Farmworkers were summoned to help tackle the spreading blaze with small extinguishers but had little success until the arrival of the firefighters.

As the fire got a firm grip the barn roof collapsed and sparks shot 30 feet into the air.

Water was the main difficulty confronting the firemen. The farm had only a private supply of 500 gallons which was used up after a few minutes. So a tractor was utilised to lead pumps and hoses down to Budle Bay more than 600 yards away.