Alnwick firefighter battling covid leaves intensive care after 38 days - to applause by staff at Northumberland hospital

An Alnwick firefighter who spent 38 days in intensive care and nearly lost his life to Covid-19 is starting out on the long road to recovery.

Thursday, 28th January 2021, 8:13 am

Mick McTigue, 49, still requires oxygen, has suffered serious damage to his lungs and has lost three stones in weight.

However, there is now finally light at the end of the tunnel following a two-month battle against the virus.

Mick was transferred to the respiratory ward at the Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care (NSEC) Hospital in Cramlington last week, where he is making slow but steady progress.

Mick McTigue is slowly recovering from Covid-19 after spending 38 days in intensive care.

His wife, Eva, said: “He is negative for Covid-19 now and x-rays show his lungs have started to make an improvement so we’re hopeful he won’t need oxygen for much longer. If he continues to improve, we’re hoping to get him home in the next two weeks.”

It has been a terrifying experience for the couple, who have an 11-year-old daughter, Gaby.

"It was a very worrying and stressful time, especially when he was in ICU (intensive care unit) and the medics couldn’t give us reassurances that he would come out,” said Eva.

It all started when Eva came down with coronavirus on November 26, although she only had mild symptoms.

Mick McTigue, with his wife, Eva, while he was in an induced coma.

In early December, Mick started feeling unwell and returned a positive Covid-19 test.

"He gradually deteriorated and on December 7 came downstairs struggling for breath,” revealed Eva. “He was very pale so I called an ambulance and they confirmed his oxygen levels were low and he was admitted to hospital.

"At that point he was just in for observation but then he got worse. They gave him drug treatments but those didn’t work and then he was given plasma twice before he was placed in an induced coma on December 17.

"That was when the shock really hit and we worried how bad this was going to be.”

Mick McTigue at the Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital.

After four days, medics tried bringing him round but his condition deteriorated and he was put back into a coma where he spent Christmas.

"That was so difficult, although he was stable,” said Eva, who actually works at NSEC as a phlebotomist.

Unfortunately, Mick then picked up another infection.

Eventually, he was brought out of the induced coma again on January 10 and slowly began to show signs of recovery.

Mick and Eva McTigue.

"He didn’t know what had happened,” said Eva. “He thought he’d been out for three days but he spent 38 days in ICU.”

He was given a round of applause by staff when he made the short journey from ICU to the respiratory ward.

Mick, who works at RAF Boulmer, is now slowly getting back on his feet with the help of a zimmer frame, but his recovery could take months.

"The medics aren’t sure what is going to happen with his lung capacity so he might not be going back to work for some time,” said Eva.

The couple are hugely grateful to the teams in ICU and Ward 12 and everyone at NSEC, as well as family and friends for their support.

Eva hopes the story will show that Covid-19 can hit anyone hard.

Covid-19 patients are placed on their front to aid recovery.

She said: "He was a very fit man and relatively young so I hope it will help people understand that this is real, it is bad and it can happen to anyone.”

Read More

Read More
The 13 areas of Northumberland with the highest number of Covid-19 cases from Ja...

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper. If you can, please do pick up a copy when you are at the shops. Thank you for your support.