Care home boss says half of all care homes are dealing with coronavirus cases

The boss of a major care home group has announced that coronavirus has affected 50% of its homes.

By Sophie Brownson
Friday, 17th April 2020, 3:00 pm

Care home group Barchester Healthcare, which has a number of care homes across the North East, has said that half of its homes are currently affected by either suspected or positive tested clients.

Barchester Healthcare care homes chief executive Peter Calveley made the announcement following the confirmation of a Government action plan to tackle the coronavirus pandemic in care homes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Bedewell Grange, Care Home.

During Wednesday’s Downing Street briefing, Health Secretary Matt Handcock said that care home residents discharged from hospital will be tested before going back into their home and that the Government will increase supplies of personal protective equipment.

Welcoming the plan, Mr Calveley said: “Changes from the social care action plan will take time to embed, and we look forward to seeing these measures flow through and empower the care sector to tackle the terrible virus that is COVID-19.

“It is far more widespread in care homes than has previously been acknowledged.

“We currently have 50% of our homes with suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 and I am aware of other care providers that are at 75%.

Washington Grange Care Home in Barmston, Washington.

“Testing and the availability of PPE are absolutely vital.

“We are also pleased to see the push for recruitment into the care sector from the Government, it reflects what we’ve seen with a record number of people applying for jobs with us in Barchester across care, kitchen, housekeeping, admin, and maintenance roles.

“People want to join our brilliant caring team in the fight against COVID-19 and that really reflects the best of our society.”

Barchester care homes in the North East include Harton Grange in South Shields, Bedewell Grange in Hebburn, Washington Grange in Washington, Hawthorns Care Home in Peterlee, Chester Court and Meadow Park in Bedlington, along with Woodhorn Park and Station Court care homes in Ashington.

Read More

Read More
Live coronavirus updates: North East death toll rises by 17 to 663 as UK total n...

The Government briefing also saw Mr Hancock promise that the relatives of dying residents will be allowed the right to say goodbye as part of the action plan.

Praising staff at Barchester homes, Mr Calveley said: “Many people have rushed to criticise the government’s adult social care action plan but it is vital that we don’t miss the point; we should recognise that the changes are broadly welcomed.

“The negative response probably reflects levels of frustration across the care sector.

“Those who work in care need all the support we can give them from a governmental, societal and employer level.

“We are so proud of our staff at Barchester who are working tirelessly and relentlessly, and as one of the bigger providers, we have excellent systems in place, with robust supply chains; but we appreciate that smaller providers are struggling, and we need to pull together.”

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you.