Primary school in Ashington to reopen after four-day closure due to gas leak

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
An Ashington school reopened on Thursday morning after being closed for four consecutive school days following central heating issues and the repair of a gas leak near the site.

Central Primary School’s upper site, on Third Avenue, closed on Friday, January 19 after the leak was discovered.

Work on the school’s ailing central heating system was unable to progress until gas distributor Northern Gas Networks had fixed the leak.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It took until Wednesday, January 24 for the central heating system repairs to be completed.

Central Primary School's upper site has been closed since Friday. (Photo by Google)Central Primary School's upper site has been closed since Friday. (Photo by Google)
Central Primary School's upper site has been closed since Friday. (Photo by Google)

A letter to parents and carers on Wednesday, signed by executive headteacher Louise Hall, said: “I am delighted to be able to confirm Central Primary upper site will be reopening tomorrow morning, Thursday, January 25, at normal time, including breakfast club.

"Engineers have this afternoon completed the repairs on the central heating system and the school is again warm and welcoming.

“Year six pupils should use the year five entrance as contractors continue remedial work on the reinstatement of pathways external to the school.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I would like to thank all parents and carers for your patience and understanding during the difficult past few days and once again apologise for the inconvenience the enforced closure since last Friday has caused.

"We are looking forward to seeing the children all back in school in the morning.”

The issues left the school without central heating or hot water, and forced it to revert to remote learning.

Pupils that normally benefit from free school meals were instead issued vouchers by email.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A previous letter from the school’s head said she “shared the frustration” of parents and carers at the closure.

Michael Brown, site manager for Northern Gas Networks, said: “Safety is our priority and as we were unable to make an immediate repair to the pipe we had to turn off the gas to Central Primary, and Central Primary upper site had to be closed temporarily.

“Our teams worked throughout the weekend to complete the repair and we commissioned a new pipe to the school and restored the gas supply to the building on Sunday, January 21.

“We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused while we carried out this essential work.”