Colliers climb back to the top

Shilbottle CW FC'are seen in their new kit,sponsored by ABS
Shilbottle CW FC'are seen in their new kit,sponsored by ABS

Northern Football Alliance League round-up

High Howden SC 2 Shilbottle CW 3

Bay Plastics Division Two

Shilbottle returned to the top of Division Two with this hard-fought victory at a windswept High Flatworth, Wallsend.

The Colliers began playing up the slope and were unfortunate not to take an early lead when Josh Hay had an effort cleared off the line and Kevin Elliott shot just wide.

Andrew Wilson in the Shilbottle goal then made a good save as High Howden came more into the game.

Shilbottle suffered a setback when the home side scored twice within a 10-minute period midway through the first half. John Ranson gave them the lead with a good finish, then Dean Blacklock fired through a ruck of players and his shot somehow found the back of the net.

The Colliers then hit the bar following a right-wing corner before pulling a goal back just before the break when Jordan Giles headed home a left-wing corner from Matty Graham (1-2).

Shilbottle trailed by the odd goal in three at the interval but were level within a couple of minutes of the restart when Matty Graham met a deep cross from Brad Wake to head home (2-2).

The Colliers were now in the ascendancy and were unfortunate not to take the lead when Matty Graham struck the bar with a fine free-kick after 75 minutes.

However, they were not to be denied and Josh Hay put them ahead from close range following heavy pressure on the home defence with 10 minutes left to play (2-3).

Shilbottle had a late scare when High Howden hit the bar with a header from a corner but held on well for a narrow victory.

Shilbottle: A Wilson, L Hume, C Graham, K Elliott, R Young, B Balmbra, J Giles, M Brown, J Hay, M Graham, R Brown, C Flanighan, B Wake, R Stewart. Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Brad Wake.

Newcastle Building Society Premier Division

Wallington pulled off a good win over second placed Red House Farm with goals from Ben Fenwick, Dan Thompson, Matty Blackith and Arthur Okonowo. Nathan Sopp and Steven Brown were on target at the other end.

Nike Division One

Birtley Saint Joseph’s big win over Wooler condemned the north Northumbrians to the basement after Newcastle Chemfica blasted themselves off the foot of the table with goals from sub Tommy Lee Bainbridge (two), Dan Sherliker and Steve McLaughin at Hexham, who replied through Steven Coates.

Bay Plastics Division Two

Battling Alnwick Town Reserves took a point off in-form Longbenton in a cracker at St James’s Park. Ryan Taylor (two) and Kenny Collins fired in for the black and whites as they came from behind with David Kane, David Short and Ben Robson the Bulls’ hit-men.

Bay Plastics Challenge Cup Quarter-Final

Malcolm Morien hit a treble as Blyth Town saw off 10-man North Shields Athletic to book a spot in the semi-finals.

Johnny Mann added two more with Scott Pocklington and Chris Lisle completing the rout. Steve Ardley and Scott Jasper were Athletic’s targetmen.

Stephen Hurd, Sam Grieveson and David Kane (two) netted for Walker Central in their victory at Killingworth Station. Alex Benjamin struck twice in reply.

Whitley Bay A were also 4-2 winners, with Dillon Blake and Andrew Robertson netted two each. Tom Lucock and Adam Clarke replied.

Rutherford were trailing 3-1 at home to Carlisle City at half-time but turned things around to win it in extra time.

Rob McCartney (two) and Marc Shiel scored for the Sky Blues but Zak Atkinson (two), Alex White and Dan Fullen fired in at the other end to stun them.

Bay Plastics Combination Cup Quarter-Final

Wallsend Boys Club’s Daniel Hindmarsh produced a match-winning performance and a double as they sent Percy Main crashing out. Liam Stubbs hit the other with the Villagers’ replies coming from sub Steven Hart and an own goal.

Gosforth Bohemians advanced thanks to goals from Andrew Dalton, Peter Hall, Mark Wright and Kevin Bruynson at Blyth Isabella, who replied through Daniel Hislop.

Kevin Halliday bagged a brace in AFC Newbiggin’s win at Cramlington Town with Ross Muter and Brent Aisbitt also on the scoresheet.

Bluefin Sport Amateur Cup Quarter Final

Liam Barnett and James Fenwick netted for Gateshead Leam Rangers at Forest Hall as they booked a semi-final spot.

Rangers are joined in the last four by Grainger Park, who had Shaun Young, Cotanna Adibe, Andrew Davison and Andy Gowling on target at Wideopen, and Whitburn, whose scorers were Dayne Weir (two), Gary Archbold (two) and Adam Bravey at Seaton Burn – Ryan Spragg, Stuart Taylor and a Dave Hewitt penalty replied.

Newcastle Benfield Reserves hit West Allotment Celtic Reserves for six in the final tie of the round. Mark McCutcheon (two), Aaron McEwan, Ian Mills, Alex Berhan and Nelson Ndlovu all shot home, with Ridi Muteba grabbing the consolation.

NFA Minor Cup

Gary Cook hammered in a hat-trick for Ponteland United as they beat North Shields Athletic Reserves in the Northumberland FA Minor Cup but Willington Quay Saints went out at Red Row Welfare after extra time. Andrew Breheny and Glen Johnson netted for Saints.

Swalwell had Chris Grant on target five minutes into the second half but they bowed out of the Durham FA Minor Cup 3-1 at Shildon Railway.