UPDATE (12.50pm – skipper who died in trawler tragedy is named): Search for missing trawler and crew

Northumberland Gazette latest

Northumberland Gazette latest

0
Have your say

A search is on for the missing skipper and crew members of a trawler which was last heard from about 100 miles east of the Farne Islands in Northumberland.

Humber Coastguard is coordinating the mission to find those who were on board the Ocean Way.

RAF Boulmer Sea King 202 Squadron

RAF Boulmer Sea King 202 Squadron

The emergency beacon from the vessel began transmitting earlier today and since then the Coastguard has been trying to contact the skipper and has also been broadcasting mayday relay messages requesting all shipping look out for the missing crew.

An RAF rescue helicopter has been on scene and so far two of the five people missing have been found alive in the water and winched to safety.

The Norwegian helicopter Rescue 1 headed to the scene to relieve the RAF rescue helicopter.

Mike Puplett, Humber Coastguard Watch Manager said: “We will continue searching as long as necessary.”

UPDATE - 6.45pm: Three out of the five people missing at sea have been rescued from the water and taken to hospital, the Gazette has been told by a spokeswoman from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

The search is currently on going for the two other people who were on board the Scottish-registered trawler, Ocean Way, which was last heard from about 100 miles east of the Farne Islands in Northumberland.

RAF Boulmer is involved in the rescue mission.

UPDATE - 7.20pm: Volunteers from Amble RNLI intercepted the distress call from the missing vessel’s emergency beacon at around 11.30am today.

Both the inshore and all-weather lifeboat were out on a routine training exercise south-east of Coquet Island at the time.

Amble Lifeboat press officer Alan Stewart said: “We clarified the distress call with Humber Coastguard and they said that they had been getting the same thing.

“We headed in the direction that the radio signal was coming in from. We thought that it could be coming from about 30 miles off the coast, but it turned out to be more than 100 miles, which is out of our range.

“We were stood down and were told to return to the lifeboat station, refuel and be on stand-by for possible deployment, but that never happened.”

UPDATE - 7.30pm: Humber Coastguard has confirmed one person has died. He was one of three people winched from the water and airlifted to Wansbeck Hospital, Ashington. Two more crew members are still missing and the search for them continues.

UPDATE - 7.40pm: A spokeswoman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency has said there are no “imminent plans” to call off a search and rescue operation for two crew members of a trawler missing in the North Sea.

The Gazette understands that a Norwegian helicopter is currently searching the area and is due to hand over to an RAF helicopter from RAF Boulmer in the next hour.

UPDATE - 10.20pm: A spokeswoman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency has just told the Gazette that the search is still on to try to find the two missing people from the trawler, Ocean Way, which was operating out of North Shields. Members of the crew are believed to be Filipino.

UPDATE – 7.50am (Monday, November 3): The search for the remaining two men from the Ocean Way finished late last night, with nothing found.

Helicopters, including from RAF Boulmer, had been searching throughout yesterday afternoon and evening, but have been unable to find any sign of the two missing people.

Three other men were airlifted from the scene earlier today, but one subsequently died.

A short statement from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency press office, which was posted online shortly before midnight, read: ‘Unless further information is forthcoming it is unlikely that the search will resume in the morning (Monday). The Marine Accident Investigation Branch has been informed’.

UPDATE - 11.05am: The search for the remaining two men from the Ocean Way has been terminated with nothing found.

UPDATE - 2pm: The man who died in the tragedy was the trawler’s captain, aged 45. The two missing men, both crew members, are aged 32 and 38 years. The two survivors, men aged 38 and 28, were taken to Wansbeck General Hospital suffering from hypothermia and have been released following treatment.

UPDATE - 12.50pm (Tuesday, November, 4): The skipper who died in the tragedy has been named as James Noble, from Throckley, Newcastle.