Tesco is to start demolition work on its eyesore Amble supermarket site on Monday.
The company has permission to build an eco-store on land north of Queen Street and adjacent to The Braid, but the scheme has been delayed over the last few years.
Work was due to start at the site on September 22, but the Gazette has been told that the demolition has been brought forward and contractors will be on site on Monday (September, 15).
Frustration had been mounting in the town about the length of time Tesco was taking to clear the site, which is plagued by derelict buildings. Some nearby residents say it is so bad, they can’t sell their homes.
Tesco spokesman Mark Thomas said, “We’re grateful to have permission from Northumberland County Council so that we can now get on with demolition and deliver what the community has asked for.
“We’ll also be providing some of the crushed material to the town council so that walkways for the allotments between West Avenue and The Wynd can be repaired.”
Revised plans, which were originally promised for public consultation in autumn 2013 – after Tesco made an 11th-hour decision to amend the scheme at the start of last year – are still to be released.