Refund misery for angry Tom Jones concert-goers

Sir Tom Jones during his gig at Alnwick last month. Picture by Jane Coltman
Sir Tom Jones during his gig at Alnwick last month. Picture by Jane Coltman

Two of the companies that sold tickets for the disastrous Tom Jones concert in Alnwick have confirmed that they are not in a position to offer a refund.

Ticketmaster and Skiddle have both made the announcement after the Welsh legend’s set at The Pastures last month was cut short following a power failure.

The shambolic gig was organised by Loose Cannon Events and the Middlesbrough-based firm has remained tight lipped on the issue of compensation.

In a statement to its customers last Friday, Ticketmaster said: ‘Loose Cannon has confirmed that the majority of the set did go ahead. As a ticket agent, we sell on behalf of the event organisers, so now that the event’s passed, the funds from ticket sales have now been forwarded to our clients and are no longer under our control.

‘We do understand that the main act started a little later than planned, and the end of the show was abrupt because of the power failure, so we’ve been liaising with Loose Cannon on your behalf regarding this matter – however, on this occasion we wouldn’t be in a position to offer a refund for your tickets as the majority of the event did go ahead.

‘I’m sorry again that we can’t help you further with this, but I trust that Loose Cannon will be able to fully address your concerns’.

Earlier this week, a spokesman for Skiddle said: “We are in the same position as Ticketmaster in that we would only offer any refund on instruction from the event organiser.”

Loose Cannon was unavailable for comment when we called them yesterday.

Last month, director Neil Winterbottom said that an investigation into the failure of two generators provided by another company was ongoing and the facts needed to be established before they could advise on compensation.

Alnwick Castle, which hired out the Pastures to Loose Cannon, has been pushing for compensation for those who attended the event.

Berwick MP Anne-Marie Trevelyan said she would continue to push for refunds for show-goers and understood that health and safety issues regarding the concert are being investigated.