A fire has caused a telegraph pole to collapse, leaving around 400 properties in a Northumberland village without power.
The incident is ongoing in Embleton and Northern Powergrid has said that power will likely not be restored to every home until 10pm. The fault was reported at 12.18pm.
A resident in the village contacted the Gazette about the issue and said: “The wires were sparking this morning and then there was an explosion at about 12.15pm and the telegraph pole started burning.
“The pole is in one of the fields along Station Road and it is next to the transformer. The pole was burning and it has just collapsed.”
A Northern Powergrid spokeswoman confirmed that at 12.18pm around 400 customers in Embleton and the surrounding area were affected by a power cut after reports of a fire on the electricity network.
She said: “Our engineers are on site replacing the damaged pole and working to switch some customers to an alternative section of our network, which will restore power to 225 customers later this afternoon. The remaining customers are expected to be restored around 10pm tonight.
“We’d like to thank our customers for their patience while we carry out these emergency repairs and look to establish the cause.
“Customers can stay up to date online at northernpowergrid.com or they can call 105, the free, three digit power cut number.”