A mother-of-three has hit out after finding two metal nuts inside clothes she bought for her baby daughter at a county supermarket.
On Sunday, September 22, Rachel Cook, who lives near Netherton, bought a babygrow for 13-month-old Isla from the Asda store in Ashington.
As she was removing a price tag from the leg, she heard a rattling noise.
Putting her hand inside, she felt something cold and taking them out, discovered two fairly large metal nuts.
Worried that it could happen to someone else and that a child could choke on them, she contacted the store with her concerns.
“I’m not very impressed with Asda. They offered me a £10 goodwill voucher, but I don’t want anything from them, I just want people to be aware of what’s there. I want them to check the stock and make sure it’s not in other items.
“The person I spoke to just kept saying, ‘she didn’t swallow it’. But she could have swallowed it and she would have choked. I don’t want anyone else to go through it.
“I couldn’t believe it. I have just spent how much in your shop and you’re not even bothered.”
However, last Friday, Rachel was contacted by a customer services manager, who did take the issue more seriously and the nuts are to be returned to the store so the matter can be investigated.
She was told that the initial response she received was ‘appalling’.
“I don’t want any money from them, because, truth be told, I don’t really want to spend any more money in their shop,” she added.
An Asda spokeswoman said: “This is an isolated complaint, but needless to say we are taking it extremely seriously and have launched an investigation with our supplier. I’d like to reassure customers that they are a baby-wear specialist we have been working with for over 12 years and have all of the necessary safety standards in place, including a metal detector.
“We are currently waiting for Ms Cook to provide us with the garment and bolts so we can complete a full investigation, and will keep her updated.”