Man hurt in gas cylinder blast

AN elderly man was injured in a boat blast at Amble Marina.

The casualty, said to be in his 80s and from the Wideopen area, suffered superficial burns to his hands and face in the incident, which happened at lunchtime on Saturday.

Alnwick Neighbourhood Police Inspector Sue Peart said: “It appears that there was one small gas cylinder involved.

“He ignited a small propane gas bottle on the boat while doing maintenance work and it exploded.”

A fire crew from Amble and one from Alnwick attended the scene and extinguished the fire, which was described as ‘small’.

The casualty was treated at the scene before being taken to Wansbeck General Hospital and was later released.

No other neighbouring vessels were damaged.