DCSIMG

Private gardens open to public

Gardens at the birthplace of one of the North East’s most famous sons will be open to the public this weekend.

The grounds of Fallodon Hall, where Charles Grey was born, will be open on Saturday and Sunday in two separate open garden events for charity.

On Saturday, the grounds will be open as part of the National Garden Scheme, which raises funds for charities such as Macmillan and Marie Curie.

Money raised from the sale of teas at the event will be donated to Embleton Church.

And on Sunday the gates will be unlocked for the Red Cross, for which it has opened for nearly four decades.

Money raised from teas on Sunday will go to HospiceCare North Northumberland.

A private garden, Fallodon encompasses a very old kitchen garden which now has borders of cutting flowers, vegetables and fruit, a bog garden, a herbaceous ‘sunk garden’, recently re -planted by designer Natasha McEwen, a 30-metre flower and shrub border, the millennium arboretum, a cold fruit greenhouse and a hot greenhouse, plus some wonderful specimen trees.

Fallodon was a Grey family house from 1755, and is where Charles Grey, Prime Minister from 1830 - 1834, was born and brought up. He went on to inherit Howick from an uncle.

Charles Grey is now just as famous for the Earl Grey tea as he is for the Great Reform bill and contributing to the end of slavery.

Edward Grey, was Foreign Secretary from 1905 - 1916. He was the last Grey to live at Fallodon, leaving it to his nephew Cecil Graves on his death.

This year Fallodon will exhibit a collection of photos, pictures, objects and letters related to EdwardGrey, which will be on show during the opening hours at the weekend.

There will also be an Edward Grey Trail around the garden with photographs.

Saturday also marks the 100th anniversary of the assassination of Archduke FranzFerdinand of Austria Hungary, which precipitated Europe into the First World War.

Gardens are open 2pm to 5pm each day. Dogs are permitted, entry £5, children free.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page