A mobile phone company which refused to cancel the contract of Alnwick lad Nathan Moore, who died earlier this year, has made a U-turn, thanks to the Gazette.
The 18-year-old died on Monday, May 27, after an eight-month battle with Ewing’s Sarcoma, a form of bone cancer.
After his death, which left family and friends distraught, dad Nigel tried to cancel his son’s mobile phone which was on a 12-month contract with EE.
When he contacted the company he was told that as the contract was in his name, it could not be cancelled and a note would be put on the file to say that the user was deceased.
Nigel said: “While the operator was sympathetic and a nice chap he told me that because the contract was in my name it could not be cancelled.
“He said I could sell it to somebody else, but that isn’t my job.
“I was looking for support at that time and for that period, since Nathan died.”
But now EE has made a U-turn.
The Gazette contacted the company yesterday morning asking them to comment.
And within two hours of our inquiry the matter had been resolved.
Nigel said: “They said it was being resolved.
“They are cancelling the contract as of today and refunding the money back into my account.
Nigel is going to donate the money to charity in Nathan’s memory.
An EE spokeswoman said: “We have been in contact with Mr Moore to offer our sincerest apologies for any distress caused and can confirm that we have fully resolved this matter with him. We constantly review our processes to see how we can improve the customer experience.”