Northumbria Police is advising road users to take additional care on the region’s roads in the icy weather conditions.
Motorists should be aware there are icy patches on many roads across the region and police are advising people to exercise caution and remember the following advice:
- Moderate your speed to match the conditions but try not to brake sharply, use the gears instead to decelerate,
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front - stopping distances are longer on wet or icy roads.
- Ensure you have adequate visibility by clearing front and back windscreens and all windows/wing mirrors before setting off.
- Keep your windscreen washer bottle topped up, with the addition of winter screen wash
- Clean your headlights front and rear before driving and use dipped headlights when driving in poor visibility.
- Be alert for pedestrians walking on roads when footpaths are too icy to use.