A father has praised fire crews for preventing serious damage when his car burst into flames outside his home.
Jay Kaminiski and his family returned home from a trip out on Saturday, parked outside their Cunningham Road home in Longhoughton and went inside.
But around an hour and a half later a friend knocked on the door to say the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso was smoking.
And before Jay knew it, flames started to engulf the vehicle.
Fire crews from RAF Boulmer arrived within minutes of being called to tackle the blaze while Jay and wife Sarah moved their two-and-a-half-year-old son Colby and 10-week-old daughter Nyla to a friend’s house as a precaution.
“The military fire crews were fantastic,” said Jay, an RAF Flight Lieutenant.
“They arrived within about five minutes and if they hadn’t been so quick to arrive the garage would have gone up, the fence would have gone, which would have led to the shed and then the house.
“We are very fortunate that it wasn’t worse.
“We don’t know how it happened and we won’t, the engine was a block of molten metal by the end and the garage is now black and the surround is completely ruined.”
He also praised the Alnwick fire crew who helped to control the blaze.
He added: “You hear about cars doing this but you never think it will happen to you.”