A parent has criticised the decision to close her child’s school two days early for ‘essential work’ – despite the fact it is shutting for good at the end of the summer term.
The final bell will sound at St Cuthbert’s RCVA First School next month after Northumberland County Council rubber-stamped proposals by the governing body to end education at the site.
But earlier this month, parents were notified via a newsletter that the governors had been given permission by the county council to close the school to children at 3pm on Wednesday, July 16, to allow essential work in the building to be carried out safely on July 17 and 18.
One parent, who didn’t want to be named, said she was gobsmacked by the decision, adding: “They have forever to do this work. Parents are not happy about it.
“Yes, the timing of the announcement has given people the chance to sort out childcare, but it ignores the inconvenience and cost of this.”
Chairman of governors Paul Claridge said that the school needed to be stripped before it closed and the decision to shut two days early was for safety reasons and to make it as stress-free as possible for the children. He added that it was regrettable if parents had been inconvenienced.