The memory of two north Northumberland fishermen who died earlier this year will live on thanks to a memorial award for apprentices.
Mark Arries, 26, from Amble, and Edward Ide, 21, who was from the town but living in Blyth, were discovered dead on board a fishing vessel on the morning of Wednesday, January 15, in Whitby harbour.
The recent annual meeting of Whitby and District Fishing Industry Training Centre included a new memorial award for apprentices initiated by our sister paper, the Whitby Gazette.
And the award was even more poignant as the inaugural winner of The Whitby Gazette Arries-Ide Memorial Award is also from the same hometown as the two late fishermen.
Jack Brown, known as Ginger Jack, moved from Amble down to the training school in Whitby in April 2013, completing his apprenticeship a year later.
The citation for the award stated that the school has ‘no doubt that Jack’s proven excellent work ethic will result in him making a success of his future’.
In June, a report published by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch said that a number of factors led to the deaths of the two men, who were both fathers to young children, aboard the scallop dredger Eshcol.
MAIB chief inspector Steve Clinch said: “This is one of several fatal accidents recently investigated by the MAIB where fishermen or leisure boat occupants have been poisoned by carbon monoxide.
“There is no question that fitting CO alarms in accommodation areas of all small vessels would help prevent further similar tragedies from occurring in future.”